To cookie settings Main content Main navigation

Visa and Residence Permit

Banner image

We're here to help

When you are from a non-EU/EEA country, you need to complete the immigration procedure before you can start your studies at Windesheim University of Applied Sciences.

There are two types of immigration procedures:

  • Residence permit (VVR, allowing you to study in the Netherlands)
  • Entry visa (MVV, allowing you to enter the Netherlands) + residence permit (VVR) procedure

Which procedure applies to you depends on your nationality. In the overview below, you can see the procedure that applies to you. 

Types of procedures

Nationality Which visa or permit applies to you?
All EU/EAA countries(opens in new tab), Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland No entry visa (MVV) or residence permit (VVR) required
Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, United Kingdom, United States and Vatican City State Residence permit (VVR) 
All other non-EU countries Entry visa (MVV) and residence permit (VVR) 
All other non-EU countries but in possession of valid residence permit of another Schengen country Residence permit (VVR) 

Chinese nationals (including those who are currently living outside China, but excluding ROC nationals), also need to apply for a Nuffic certificate.

Not sure which procedure applies to you? Fill in your details on Study in NL(opens in new tab) and get advice tailored to your situation.

How to apply

  1. Exchange students: When you start your application in our Mobility Online portal, you will be asked to upload the visa application documents.
    Bachelor's students: First apply through Studielink(opens in new tab),  follow the instructions as inidicated in the application email from the Student Administration. Send the required admission documents to the Student Administration(opens in new tab). Start preparing your visa documents and submit the Visa service application form (see below Additional Information) to the International Office(opens in new tab).
  2. Windesheim will submit your visa application to the Dutch Immigration Authorities (IND) as soon as your enrolment and visa application are complete. You are not able to apply in person to the IND for an entry visa and or residence permit.
  3. Once we receive the visa approval from the IND, you will be notified by our International Office. You will then be able to continue the entry visa (MVV) procedure with the specified Dutch Embassy or Consulate. If you do not need an MVV, you can continue the VVR procedure provided by our International Office.  


​First application or change in purpose of stay: ​​€ 228   ​
​Extension: ​​€ 228

See for addtional costs under Additional Information: Proof of funds


The deadlines for application are:
1 June for starting your programme in September
1 November for starting your programme in February

Additional information

You need to prove that you have sufficient money to live and study in the Netherlands. You can show this by paying the study norm into the bank account of Windesheim. You need to have sufficient money for 12 months (€1217,96 x 12 months = €14.615,52). The study norm(opens in new tab) equals the amount Dutch students receive in study benefit when they are living in a student room.

You will receive an invoice for the payment of both the study norm and the visa application fee after you have handed in the required visa application documents to the Windesheim International Office. Windesheim will authorize the Dutch Immigration Authorities (IND) to withdraw the visa application fee from their bank account. The study norm money will be returned to you by Windesheim.

This application form is only meant for full-time bachelor's students. Exchange students should apply for visa through the application form in Mobility Online.

Download application form (.doc)

The rules on visas and permits are complex, but our International Office provides full support to students and applicants who need help.

Send an email(opens in new tab)

Study progress and your visa status

At the end of each academic year, Windesheim monitors whether our bachelor's students have made sufficient study progress.

You will get a residence permit that is valid for the duration of your education. You keep your permit if you obtain at least 50% of the required credits for each academic year. Is your study progress not sufficient? We will examine the cause and discuss this with a study advisor. If you do not study enough or cannot handle the level, we will inform the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND). You may lose your residence permit.

In case of personal circumstances which can be regarded as valid reasons for unsatisfactory progress, binding agreements are made in order to continue the study. In such cases the IND will not be notified. The IND will also be informed if we establish that you have terminated your registration at Windesheim.

More information on in new tab)

Work permit

Working while studying

If you are from the EU/EEA or Switzerland you are free to work without restrictions. You do not need a work permit and there are no restrictions regarding working hours, other than the restrictions and rules stipulated by Dutch law in the Working Hours Act (ATW).

If you are not from the EU/EEA or Switzerland, there are some restrictions if you want to work alongside your studies. Your employer has to provide you with a personal work permit. You can only work if you have this specific work permit and can either work for a maximum of 16 hours a week during the year, or full-time during the months of June, July and August.

More information on Study in NL (opens in new tab)