Information for new students
Starting university in a different country is a big step. Here you will find information to help you settle in and find your way around. Dutch students can find their information on the Dutch website(opens in new tab).
After you have applied through Studielink, our Student Administration will email you about completing your application. It is important to complete this process before 1 September. By completing all relevant tasks in the checklist below, you can ensure you can access everything you need to begin your studies.
- Complete your application via Studielink(opens in new tab).
- Send us your documents (copies of your international diploma, grade list, evaluation of your diploma or CV, an official translation of your diploma and, if required, a language test certificate). If you need a visa or residence permit, we need these documents before 1 June, or no alter than 31 August.
- You will be notified by the Student Administration mid-June to pay your tuition fees. When you have a bank account in a SEPA country, you can pay via Studielink (in one go or 8 instalments). If you are not from a SEPA country, you need to pay by bank transfer in one go. Read more on the finance page.
- Once your enrolment in Studielink is complete, we will email you a link where you can upload your photo. We need this for your student card, which you will receive in the mail by the end of August.
- Activate your Windesheim account. You will receive your student number and the option to create a password by email. You can use these to access the Windesheim Information Portal(opens in new tab), where you will find information about your introduction, timetable and books (note: some information will be added in August).
- Do you have an (in)visible disability such as dyslexia, fear of failure, a chronic illness or a physical, sensory or psychological impairment? Please let us know in time. If necessary, Windesheim will invite you for an intake interview. This interview will take about an hour and will be conducted by a dean. If you like, your parents, supervisors from school and/or social workers are welcome to attend. Read more about studying with a disability.
Changed your mind?
If you have decided not to study or you want to defer until next year, please deregister in Studielink.
Windesheim Information Portal (WIP)
All information about your timetable, introduction and study supplies can be found on your personal Windesheim Information Portal (WIP)(opens in new tab). The platform is also available as an app on Apple (opens in new tab)and Android(opens in new tab).
How to create an account can be found in the email you will receive from the Student Administration after you have applied via Studielink. Still having problems? Please contact the IT Service Desk: +31 884699070(opens in new tab) or email@example.com.(opens in new tab)
Frequently asked questions
I have not received any information after applying in Studielink
Within a few days of registering via Studielink, you will receive two things by email:
- A questionnaire
- A confirmation of the Student Administration
Please check your spam filter and check whether you have entered the right email address in Studielink before contacting us.
My address has changed. How do I inform Windesheim?
You can change your address in Studielink.
I cannot upload my photo, what should I do?
Please contact the Student Administration.
Telephone: +31 88 469 91 20(opens in new tab)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org(opens in new tab)
When do I receive my student card?
If you meet all requirements (arranged payment, uploaded photo), you will receive your student card in August/September. Do not worry if you have not received it at the start of the year, because you will mainly need it during exams later in the year.
- I have not received any information after applying in Studielink
Which class am I in?
Studying International Business? Then your class will be published in the last week of August on the Windesheim Information Portal.
Global Project and Change Management students will be emailed about their class.
Can't find your name on the list? Please email email@example.com(opens in new tab).
I want to be in the same class as my friend. How do I arrange this?
Discuss this with your student counsellor at the start of your studies in September, or get in touch with your programme in advance. You can find the contact details on the Windesheim Information Portal. Sending in a request does not guarantee that your request will be honoured.
When can I see my timetable?
You will find your schedule on the Windesheim Information Portal no later than 31 August. You can log in on the platform with your student number and password. You will receive this information in the confirmation email you receive from the Student Administration after applying. Once logged in, you will need to link your class code to your timetable.
Are you not assigned to a class? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org(opens in new tab).
Where can I find the books I need?
You can order books at booksforstudents.nl(opens in new tab) from Index Books. We are working hard to publish the book lists by July.
Of course, you are free to order your books (second-hand) elsewhere. We advise you to initially only order books for the first period!
You can also borrow books for free.
- In Zwolle you can go to the Mediacentrum, behind the central reception. Here you will find a collection that includes books, magazines and teaching materials.
- Online via mediacentrumwindesheim.nl(opens in new tab). Here you will find academic information, databases, e-books, knowledge clips and workshops, among other things.
- In Almere this is possible at the Nieuwe Bibliotheek. As a student in Almere, you get a library card. With this you can borrow books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, games and other media.
What kind of laptop do I need?
Your laptop should meet the requirements set below. Do you already have a (new) laptop? Then chances are it already meets the requirements, so we do not recommended buying a new one. You will find out soon enough at the start of your studies whether the laptop suffices.
Intel Core i3 / AMD A6-A8
Intel Core i5 / AMD A6-A8
Intel Core i7 / AMD A8-A10
4 - 8 GB
8 - 16 GB
250 GB SSD
> 250 GB SSD
> 250 GB SSD
Windows 10 / MAC OSX 10.12 Sierra
Windows 10 64 Bit / MAC OSX 10.13 High Sierra
Windows 10 64 bit / MAC OSX 10.13 High Sierra
Wireless AC 5Ghz band
Wireless AC 5Ghz band
Discounted hardware and software
You can get free, discounted and upgraded software with your student account on SURFspot(opens in new tab). You can log in by selecting 'Windesheim University of Applied Sciences' in the login screen and then logging in with your student details from Windesheim. You will receive these in the confirmation email after applying.
Your lecturer will tell you if you need specific software. They can often inform you of free or greatly reduced possibilities.
What are the times of classes?
A class consists of a 50-minute lecture and a 10-minute break. This is scheduled as 60 minutes. Your timetable shows you the times your classes are scheduled.
- 08:30 to 09:30
- 09:30 to 10:30
- 10:30 to 11:30
- 11:30 to 12:30
- 12:30 to 13:30
- 13:30 to 14:30
- 14:30 to 15:30
- 15:30 to 16:30
- 16:30 to 17:30
- 17:30 to 18:30
- Which class am I in?
Are there lockers?
There are lockers in most buildings, including the X-building where you will take most of your classes. You do not have to pay a deposit for these, they are lockers that you can open with a code.
Where can I park my cycle?
There are several cycle parking spaces on campus. 1 between building E/F, 1 next to building D, 1 across from building X and 1 next to building S (the sports building).
- Are there lockers?
I am an elite athlete, is there support for me?
Yes, we support high-performance athletes, trainers, coaches, esport players and sports officials. You can find more information on our Dutch website(opens in new tab). International students should contact email@example.com(opens in new tab) for conditions.
I am dyslexic / have a disability, who should I report this to?
Do you have a visible or invisible disability such as dyslexia, fear of failure, a chronic illness or a physical, sensory or psychological impairment? We offer support to make your studies more accessible. That is why, approximately one week after your registration, you will receive an email from us inviting you to report any needs you may have.
You may also contact the student counsellor of the Studiesucces Centre: +31 88 4 699 100(opens in new tab) or decanaat@Windesheim.nl(opens in new tab).
- I am an elite athlete, is there support for me?